24 May 2013

A Felted Hat

Welcome to Fibre Arts Friday :)  Today's post is short and sweet, I'm showing you a felted hat. You might have heard me say before, I don't wear hats because I look hideous in a hat. So why am I making another hat? Maybe I was thinking of our trip to England and USA later in the year, who knows! But here it is...
The pattern is available for free on Ravelry, pattern page is here. The knitting was easy and it looked like this before felting:
Then I just threw it in the washing machine and washed it with some towels, then shaped with... you guessed it - a mixing bowl! But I'm not too happy about the brim, it looks a bit flimsy, and it feels a bit flimsy. I don't know what to do about that. Also, I'd like to add some embellishment with needle felting, but I can't decide on a pattern, or possibly I'm just too chicken to make a mess.

Remember Tricky Tricsi the little cardigan I was making for my goddaughter? I frogged it because it came out a bit small due to the thinner yarn than recommended and me messing up with maths.... well I started it again and I am almost done with the sleeves shaping, so hopefully I will have something to show you soon. Stay tuned...

Thanks for dropping by, there is more fibre arts fun at Wisdom Begins in Wonder. Indulge your creative side and join the party!

7 comments:

  1. You could felt the brim a little more with needle felting, that might help it firm up. I can't wear hats at all! Face is too round. Pout!!! Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you do a crochet edging on the hat? Needle felting should be a lot of fun, and I think you can always just tear it off if you are not happy with it. Look forward to seeing you in the hat :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to do some practice before I start on the hat, and if I manage to do a good job then you will see me in the hat ;)

      Delete
  3. Needle Felting might do the trick.

    I've never knit anything then purposely felted it. You should take a felting class. I love wet felting and you have so much more control over the shaping of the hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never considered felting, dry or wet, before until recently when I came across so many gorgeous items made by felting. Yes, a felting class is in order methinks ;)

      Delete
  4. Keeping in mind that most of the fabulous finished projects that you see around have involved a lot of work...perhaps your hat just needs a bit of fine tuning. Do some web searching for felted hat brims and see what you can find for advice. Good luck, it's a beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete