26 October 2012

Paris in Melbourne - A Spring Project

It's been a long winter in Melbourne, in fact this was the longest and coldest winter since we moved to Australia almost five years ago. But spring is definitely in the air, the days are getting longer and flowers are blooming, spring in Melbourne really is quite beautiful. We went for a walk around our favourite Cherry Lake last weekend, it's a 3-mile circle and only five minutes' walk from home...
The marshland by the lake is blanketed by the little pink flowers, the beige you see in the distance are reeds from last year but there are new ones coming through. There are abundant wildlife in and around the lake, we saw many tiny little birds with bright blue chest bouncing around the walk path but they were too quick for me to capture on camera.

The changes in the air make me wanting to start a spring project, so I did! ... the WIPs and UFOs can wait, I need something to set the mood ;)

Project: Paris in Melbourne
Pattern: Paris Tunic by Doris Chan
Yarn:  Panda Regal 4ply mercerised cotton, fingering weight
Cast on:  24 October 2012
Hook: 4mm / G
The beige and grey in the yarn remind me of the marshland, pity there's no pink, I'm not usually a pink person but a little soft pink wouldn't go amiss here. I'm not too sure about the variegated yarn, just hope the colour arrangement won't turn out too tedious. Also I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's enough yarn, my sleeves won't be as long and I will be making a smaller bell shape at the cuffs so that might help.

Thanks for dropping by, there is more fibre arts fun at Wisdom Begins in Wonder. Indulge your creative side and join the party!

5 comments:

  1. That's such a pretty top. Maybe you can thread a pink ribbon through the top when you are done, that will add some colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spring. :-)

    I'm interested to see how this top goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sweater is going to be beautiful. I'm super excited for winter shawl weather to be here yet your top inspires me to think forward to spring knitting projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, Doris Chan must be on the brain, because I've been eyeing The Sera Top I've had in my queue like, forever. I love, love, love your fiber choice, and I think the variegation will be beautiful with that pattern. Can't wait to see how this works up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doris does create some beautiful things doesn't she? And what spunk! It feels like I haven't been by in a while. The sideways jacket from last week is brilliant! Both the pattern and the colors are fab. And the little jester hat is a hoot! Any little one will be adorable in a cap like that!
    I forget that you're on the other side of the world. Every day that is longer for you is that much shorter for me! It's been mild of late, but Jack Frost is surely waiting close by!
    My hat following Denise's pattern is looking awesome! It's got great texture and the bright red wool I chose feels just right!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend - and your trip to Paris :)

    ReplyDelete